Saturday, December 18, 2010

Farewell, plastic bag

In Italy, retail plastic bags will be officially banned starting Jan 1st but these have actually disappeared a few months ago from large supermarkets.
We bring our own reusable canvas and plastic bags, certainly more convenient than our grand-grandparents' basket.
How nice to get rid of 20 billion bags per year in Italy alone. A decent step forward.
Only biodegradable plastic bags are now allowed for sale at grocery stores. Like others, I occasionally buy such bags when I don't have my own with me. I need them anyway for organic trash purposes. These are made from materials which decompose over a period of time. There are basically two types of such materials: one that dissolves with time (aerobic) and another (anaerobic) that is dissolved by bacteria under certain conditions.
The aerobic type goes into tiny and tinier pieces to mess up your drawers if forgotten there - it happened to me already.
The anaerobic best works in a landfill.

No comments:

Post a Comment